Medical Mission Sister Camillus Healy, 96, the sister of Rev. Cletus Healy, SJ, passed away Nov. 4
Sr. Healy was born Aug. 16, 1915, in Newton. She joined the Medical Mission Sisters in 1944 after graduating from St. Joseph Academy and Mercy Hospital School of Nursing in Des Moines, where she became a registered nurse. She received a public health nursing certificate in 1940 from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and became certified as a nurse midwife in 1948 at the Catholic Maternity Institute in Santa Fe, N.M. Missioned to Berekum, Ghana, (then the Gold Coast) in 1949, Sr. Healy served as a nurse-midwife and helped to build Holy Family Hospital, Berekum, and start its nursing school. She ministered in Berekum for a total of 33 years. She also worked for 12 years elsewhere in Ghana.
When she returned to the U.S., she served in her community’s Formation House in Arlington, Va., for four years. She lived for 11 years with two other Medical Mission Sisters in Bethesda, Md., before returning to Philadelphia in 2008.
Sr. Healy’s funeral was Nov. 8 in Philadelphia.