MUSCATINE — Ss. Mary & Mathias Parish will observe Lent through liturgies, the sacraments, prayer and faith formation opportunities. Following are highlights.
• Weekday Masses during Lent: 7 a.m. Mass each morning at St. Mathias Church, 9 a.m. Mass on Saturday, March 6 at St. Mary’s Church. St. Mary in Wilton has 8 a.m. Mass Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and 5:30 p.m. Mass on Wednesday.
• Liturgy of the Hours will be recited. Morning Prayer is Monday to Friday at 6:40 a.m. in the St. Mathias Chapel beginning Thursday, Feb. 18.
• Stations of the Cross will take place Friday evenings at 6:30 p.m. at St. Mary’s Church on Feb. 19 and 26 and March 5, 12, 19 and 26. Friday evenings at 7 p.m. the Stations will be at St. Mary’s Church in Spanish on the same dates.
• Eucharistic adoration will be each Thursday and Friday following the morning Mass until 8 p.m. in the St. Mathias Chapel.
• Forty hours devotion will be from 7 a.m. (beginning with morning Mass) on Friday, March 26 until 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, March 27.
• A DVD retreat with Father Ron Rolheiser is entitled “Creating Sabbath Space In Our Lives.” Each video session is one hour long. The classes will be on Thursdays, Feb. 18 and 25 and March 4, 18 and 25 from 1:30-3 p.m. or 6:30-8 p.m. in the faith formation center.
• Communal penance services: Feb. 28, 3 p.m.: first reconciliation at St. Mathias Church. March 3, 4:25 p.m.: Early bird religious education class. March 3, 6:40 p.m.: Evening session for religious education (grades three to five). March 10, 6:30 p.m.: Religious education classes (grades eight to 10). March 17, 6:30 p.m.: St. Mary’s in Wilton. March 24, 6:40 p.m.: Evening session for religious education (grades 6-7). March 28, 3 p.m.: Ss. Mary & Mathias.